Persian Cat Bath - Grooming steps to help teach you how to Groom Persian Cats!
Persian Grooming- Persian Cat Baths
Grooming Persians: Giving a Persian Cat a Bath and Combing
Here is Laura's' Persian cat bath: Bathing your Persian is an easy job once you get the routine down. Your Kitty should most likely get a bath once per month if they have whats called a greasy coat, other wise every other month will do fine while you're not showing. BTW- you need a bath when you are starting to mat and or knot.
Step 1: Preparation
- Get EVERYTHING OUT
- Prepare the area for what you will need- FIRST!
- Then get your kitty:-)
Step 2: Clip Nails
Its smarter than you think to either clip nails before you bathe than after. However, you can clip an experienced kitty at the end of the bath when the nails are soft from the bath water.
- Always clip nails short
- But don't clip into the quick.
Step 3: Washing Your Kitty
- I prefer to bathe cats in the sink. Here are the steps I take when bathing my kitties.
- Fill up one side of the sink with a soapy water of the preferred shampoo (like you make up to wash the dishes).
- Place the cat in the sink of water and pour the water over the cat with a cup.
- Don't literally pour the shampoo on the cat (Mix up a water/shampoo solution like you would for washing dishes. Then pour the soapy water over the cat.) It is almost impossible to rinse undiluted shampoo out of a Persian's fur without practice.
- Do this until the cat has had the water poured over enough to be cleaned.
- Fill the other sink with clean water and transfer kitty to the rinse water.
- Pour the clean water over him with the cup until you feel the shampoo is removed.
- Then repeat the rinse cycle back in the other sink.
- Now for a third and final rinse...drain all water and pour fresh running water over the kitty.
- Make certain you get the underside rinsed good, too. :-)
Step 4: Drying Your Kitty
- Squeeze out excess water from the coat
- Pat dry, towel dry the face, wrap the cat in a towel and move to the drying area.
- With a Metro dryer, there is no need to comb until you have completely dried the cat...the dryer blows the hair out very nicely.
Blow-dry carefully, not allowing the cat to be burned. Move that dryer and don't leave it sitting aimed at one spot of the skin...it gets hot! For Persians, my favorite dryer is the Metro Force. You really don't need anything stronger than the lowest 1 horsepower speed. It blows the water off the coat with nice cool air. This also helps not dry the skin quite as bad as the hand-held dryers and it dries the coat in half the time. You can locate the Metro dryer at Care-a-lot in Virginia Beach, VA. Call 1-800-343-7680 and request a catalog. They do ship and the dryer runs about $119.00. It's worth every single penny, even if you only have one cat to bathe!
Dryer I prefer:
Air Force AF-2PG One Speed
100 CFM/23,000 FPM $119.95
Once a cat has been bathed, make sure the eyes do not have any soap in them. Flush or rinse them with an approved eyewash such as Tomlyn Opticlear, found in most breeder catalogs and retail pet stores such as Petsmart. If an eye drop is needed, we suggest Bausch & Lomb allergy drops. Do not use anything that says it gets the red out.
A clean cat is a happy cat!
Ok- how about grooming a persian kitten- I actually use the above bath to bath my kittens from 3 weeks of age- just make certain to not get water in the ears! and dry 100% to keep from catching a cold.
Learn a visual step by step bath with our Baths DVD.
Where to Find More Information on Persian Cat Baths and Grooming:
Laura Thomas' Hollywood Purr-fect Bath DVD is useful if you are interested to know more about grooming Persian cats, including giving Persian cat baths and her Ringside Edition for actual grooming and combing. Laura's DVD has step-by-step instructions on how to do this and you can watch the DVD as many times as you need.More Steps for the Persian Cat Bath.
Thought I'd share: Our #1 Top seller! with links
YOU GET ALL OF THIS!
- Hollywood Grooming DVD- The Purr-fect Bath for Persians & Other Longhairs
- Ringside Grooming DVD- how to groom after the bath and prepare for a show!
- CB Anna Shampoo Trio (12 oz pH Healthy Coat shampoo, 12 oz conditioner, 4 oz face shampoo)
- Original Bath DVD - Hollywood with more content
- Purrinlot e-book- Lookin Good - a complete how to groom guide & remove stain faces
- Stud Tail Soap for Cats
- The famous Anna Natural Tear Stain Remover for Cats and Kittens, with no chemicals or antibiotics!
- Cat Shampoo our top three combination- includes conditioner and both a tearless face shampoo and a body shampoo