Feline trivia, cat poems and feline Fun!
The Princess - our Queen's Playroom:
Welcome to Precious Queen Destiny's Playroom! Queen Destiny is all grown and now retired from Purrinlot - the throne has been passed on to GC Purrinlot Chariots Of Fire- aka Cheralee. We hope you will get as many joys from her room page as we do from her at home. She is a wild lovable flirty nut!
HOW TO GIVE YOUR CAT A PILL by Peggy Althoff
- Grasp cat firmly in your arms. Cradle its head on your elbow, just as if you were giving baby a bottle. Coo confidently, "Thats a nice kitty." Drop pill into its mouth.
- Retrieve cat from top of lamp and pill from under sofa.
- Follow same procedure as in 1, but hold cat's front paws down with left hand and back paws down with elbow of right arm. Poke pill into its mouth with right forefinger.
- Retrieve cat from under bed. Get new pill from bottle. (Resist impulse to get new cat.)
- Again proceed as in 1, except when you have cat firmly cradled in bottle-feeding position,sit down on edge of chair, fold your torso over cat, bring your right hand over your left elbow, open cat's mouth by lifting the upper jaw and pop the pill in - quickly. Since your head is down by your knees, you won't be able to see what you're doing. That's just as well.
- Leave cat hanging on drapes. Leave pill in your hair.
- If you're a woman, have a good cry. If you're a man, have a good cry.
- Now pull yourself together. Who's the boss here anyway? Retrieve cat and pill. Assuming position 1, say sternly, "Who's the boss here, anyway?" Open cat's mouth, take pill and...Oooops!
- This isn't working, is it? Collapse and think. Aha! Those flashing claws are causing the chaos.
- Crawl to linen closet. Drag back large beach towel. Spread towel on floor.
- Retrieve cat from kitchen counter and pill from potted plant.
- Spread cat on towel near one end with its head over long edge.
- Flatten cat's front and back legs over its stomach. (Resist impulse to flatten cat.)
- Roll cat in towel. Work fast; time and tabbies wait for no man-or woman.
- Resume position 1. Rotate your left hand to cat's head. Press its mouth at the jaw hinges like opening the petals of a snapdragon.
- Drop pill into cat's mouth and poke gently. Voila! It's done.
- Vacuum up loose fur (cat's). Apply bandages to wounds (yours).
- Take two aspirins and lie down.
- Repeat entire process in 8-12 hours!
The above is something which has been passed through many list that I thought some of you might enjoy,
that aren't on any of the cat list. I have yet to this day to asked the author permission for this reprint, however...if it isn't allowed here at the Purrinlot Site, I will be more than happy to remove it! And if anyone can give me a way to contact the author, much Thanks is given!!
- Ball up a piece of paper near the kitty. Let the kitty hear you balling up that paper...roll it to the kitty, and watch him play soccer.
- With a laser light (careful not in the eye) pretend the light is a bug and drive the kitty nuts trying to catch it.
- Place a ping pong ball in a dry clean tub...roll it in front of kitty.
- Place a rubber bouncing ball it the kitties room or bed (if using a box) or even in the bottom of his playhouse or cage.
- Tease kitty on the scratching post with a feather.
- Toss a soda plastic boss lid down for kitties to go nuts over.
- Give kitty a pipe clean slightly bent:-)
Some helpful advice for disciplining kitty when kitty doesn't understand the word "NO". Sometimes Gadgets can help, here are a few suggestions. Keep in mind don't overdo anything here...you want to teach the kitty not scare him. And don't use these ideas in any way to entertain yourself PLEASE!!
- Using clean water in a squirt bottle from a distant, spray kitty during the course of his wrong doing.
- Homemade booby traps that make noise when kitty is doing or getting ready to do something you don't want him to do. For Example, piles cans around the plants and have them stacked.
- A very small blast of canned air at the back butt side.(use air cans made to clean pc's)
- A shaker made to create a scary sound whenever kitty attempts to do wrong. For Example a few bottle caps in a baby food jar.
- I have even gone as far as wrapping the sofa in bubble wrap when introducing a new kitty into the house. They scratch, it pops, they jump! Granted...one cat actually thought it was amusing to pop the wrap:-)
- A simple touch on the kitties nose with the word "no". Cats hate to have there noses butted...almost makes them feel embarrassed or something.
Nifty Cat Facts
Did you know cats don't sweat....instead as an alternative in order to lose excessive heat, cats radiate it from their body surfaces. This is why you may see many cats stretched along side the sidewalk:-) Occasionally one may pant, esp a queen during labor, but it is quite rare to pant in general like a dog does to sweat.
The cat's Purr isn't just an auditory phenomenon. It actually has a wonderful use that begins as early as birth. When kittens are newly born they are blind and have no real sense of smell. Their smell is still developing to what each smell actually is. And because their hearing is still developing.... they use the vibration of the mother's purr as a help to their homing device . There are two theories on exactly what causes a cats purr. One is the vibration of the palette within the vocal cords as a cat inhales and exhales. The other theory is the sound is caused by turbulence in the majorblood vessels during inhale and exhalation of the cat breathing. The most likely cause is that the sound arises in the voice box from the vocal cords tensing up as the cat breathes in and out.
Whiskers are used mostly for sizing...they let a cat know whether or not they can fit into a particular space. They are considered antennas and allow the cat to feel things it can't see. Some scientists even feel that a cat will bend its whiskers some or even all the way down as a balance guide while jumping over uneven areas at night.
Did you know the average lifespan of a cat is about 15 years. However it isn't uncommon for individuals to achieve even up to the ripe age of 20.
The carpal pad...that extra pad on the cats forepaw actually serves as a anti-skidding device. This is very helpful when a cat lands after a jump.
Did you know that cats aren't hunters naturally or truly instinctively. They are actually taught how to hunt from their mothers. Kittens raised without littermates and/or a hunting mother will not develop the hunting skills nor ever care to hunt, of course since the vast majority of cats do hunt, it is quite rare to find a kitty who prefers to play with the mouse/bird and not eat it.
When a cat drinks....its tongue is actually in reverse unlike a human. They curl the tongue under and scoop the liquid in from the underside of their tongue.
A cats brain and intelligence level is at the ratio of 4:1 where a human is 50:1. A measuring comparison is to take the brain weight to the length of the spinal cord. This shows how much gray matter controls the body.
A cat smells at the strength of 14 times stronger than a human. So it if smells bad to you, paint for example, image how powerful that is to your cat.
Below is a comparative of a cats life span to a human in actual years:
***** As you can see, a cat's years do not add as simple as the canines 7 year theory.
There's a danger you know,
You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.
There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger
While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger
One cat is not trouble, and two are so funny,
The third one is easy, the fourth one's a honey,
The fifth is delightful, the sixth ones a breeze.
You find you can live with a house full, with ease.
So how 'bout another? Would you really dare?
They're really quite easy, but Oh Lord, the hair!
With cats on the sofa and cats on the bed,
And crates in the kitchen, its no bother, you said.
They're really no trouble, their manners are great.
What's just one more cat and one more little crate?
The sofa is hairy, the windows are crusty.
The floor is all footprints, the furniture's dusty.
The housekeeping suffers, but what do you care?
Who minds a few nose prints and a little more hair?
So let's keep a kitten, you can always find room.
And a little more time for the dust cloth and broom.
There's hardly a limit to the cats you can add
the thought of a cutback, sure makes you feel sad.
Each one is special, so useful, so funny,
The food bill grows larger, you owe the vet money.
Your folks never visit, few friends come to stay,
Except other cat folks, who live the same way.
Your lawn has now died and your shrubs are dead, too.
Your weekends are busy, you're off with your crew.
There's cat food and vitamins, grooming and shots
And entries and travel and motels, which cost lots.
Is it worth it you wonder? Are you caught in a trap?
Then that favorite comes up and climbs in your lap.
His look says you're special and you know that you will
Keep all of the kittens in spite of the bill.
Some just for showing and some just to breed
And some just for loving, they all fill a need.
Late evening is awful, you scream and you shout
At the cats on the sofa, who refuse to get up.
The cats and the cat shows, the travel, the thrills
The work and the worry, the pressure, the bills.
The Whole thing seems worth it, the cats are your life.
They're charming and funny and offset the strife.
Your lifestyle has changed, things just won't be the same.
Yes, those cats are addictive and so is the cat game!
- Author Unknown
More Feline Fun at the Castle of Purrinlot
- Sound Garden
- Persian Word Search
- Destiny Wedding
- Cat Humor
- Persian Cat Movies
- Pictures of Persian Kittens
- Purrinlot's Kitchen
- Samson's Flight
- Judges Office
- Green Eggs and Ham